The conversation between architect Roy Malcolm and developer/ owner Mark Parsinen
about doing an Art Deco clubhouse dates back more than ten years to their
consideration of options for the clubhouse at Kingsbarns Golf Links near St Andrews.
A more traditional approach sympathetic to the architecture of the surrounding estate
was undertaken, however, and Art Deco notions put on the shelf. A decade later,
clubhouse conversations at Castle Stuart focused on the challenge of presenting
Castle Stuart's panoramic setting along the Moray Firth to those within the building
for their maximum pleasure. Through a defining 'circular drum', Roy Malcolm and
Steve Thomson of G1 Architects brought the surrounding panoramic beauty to the
interior. Subsequent discussions centered on 'arrival and release' to views in the
'circular drum'. Interior 'compression and release' to panoramic views became the
organising principle. It united the approach to the utilitarian functions of the
clubhouse - those of the golf shop, bar and restaurant, locker rooms, and top-floor
lounge. Form followed function. Parsinen has proclaimed the work of G1's architects
Roy Malcolm and Steve Thomson a 'stroke of genius' that binds the 1930s Art Deco
form of the clubhouse and its era to the inspiration for the links course itself - the
'transitional period' of golf, a simpler more rustic era circa 1890 to 1935.' Parsinen
and G1's Malcolm have worked together for well more than ten years on a number of
projects from Parsinen's flat remodel in St Andrews, to the Parsinen's cottage at
Castle Stuart, to the other key elements at Castle Stuart, e.g. the project's master
plan including the greenkeeping sheds, the bespoke Dormy House, the larger yet
small luxury hotel & spa, and the onsite lodges and apartment buildings.
For more on G1 Architects please visit g1architects.com.